I hope you had a good weekend and are ready for the week ahead. Did you drink green beer yesterday? Just kidding! For many years on St. Patrick’s Day I made the not-so-traditional Irish dish of corned beef & cabbage, so the last few years have been a little bit of a challenge as my taste buds still long for the flavor of the salty beef. This year I made an Irish stew that was a fine replacement, and I will share the recipe on… you got it, Wednesday because it is, after all, soup day!
Today I have something more exciting to share with you.
Fellow blogger, vegan & the mastermind of the Healthy Vegan Challenge is offering one of my readers a free download code for her app Vegan Delish. Vegan Delish is a recipe app available for iPhones and iPads featuring tools such as a digital shopping list and searchable categories. Listed as one of the top 20 Food & Drink paid iPhone apps, Vegan Delish inspires users to make whole food, plant-based meals that are easy AND nutritious. Once you download the app, access includes all of the new recipes that are added monthly. The most amazing thing… all of the dishes are 100% vegan and made with whole food ingredients. Take the Sneaky Greens Chocolate Smoothie, which includes a whole serving of spinach. It tastes and looks like a chocolate milkshake but with no added sugar.
Besides the Cashew Curry Sauce, California Kale Salad and Pumpkin Spice Muffins, one of my favorite recipes is the Kale & Spring Pea Mashup… plus I love the name! I’ve included the recipe below to tease you just a little bit.
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 16 ounces frozen sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 bunches lacinato kale
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked
- 1 medium tomato
- 2 tablespoons no-salt seasoning
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Lemon-Tahini Sauce (See Recipe Below)
1. Defrost bag of frozen peas in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Wash and dry a sweet potato and use a fork to prick it several times. Bake at 400°F or 200°C for 60 minutes, turning once during the cooking process. Set aside to cool and then remove and discard skin.
3. Wash and dry kale and remove leaves from tough stems, tearing the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Discard stems or use them for another purpose such as juicing.
4. Chop onions. Slice mushrooms. Rinse and drain beans using a colander.
5. Heat up a few tablespoons of water over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and water-saute for a few minutes or until soft. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for several more minutes.
6. Add no-salt seasoning and turmeric to the mixture and stir to combine. Add the tomato, peas, baked sweet potato and beans to the pot, along with about a ½ cup of water if mixture is dry. Stir to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Finally, add the kale to the pot and turn the heat to low. Place the lid on the pot and cook for several minutes or until the kale is wilted but bright green. Turn the heat off and stir in the nutritional yeast and Lemon-Tahini Sauce.
- 1/2 cup no-salt added jarred tahini
- 2 lemons
1. Place tahini in a medium bowl.
2. Squeeze juice from lemons and add to tahini. Stir to blend. Use more or less lemon juice to reach desired flavor and consistency.
Each of Carrie’s recipes is accompanied by amazing, mouth-watering photos.
Following a health-promoting diet doesn’t have to be boring or take a lot of time. And if you’re new to this diet-style, Carrie makes it easy on you with recipes written in an easy-to-follow format with standard or metric measurements and includes reference pages with expanded information on healthy cooking. There’s even a recipe scaling feature so you have the exact quantities listed for the servings you need.
I made these super delicious Almond Date balls in less than 10 minutes!
The cost for the app is just $1.99 a small price to pay for so many wonderful recipes and great features like the smart shopping list feature… you can add ingredients right from the selected recipes. Hello?! Can life get any easier? I think the cost of the app is a great value, but like I said, Carrie is offering one of you (or your friend) a free download. Just leave a comment on my blog telling me what your favorite go-to meal is and I will announce the winner Friday morning.
Wednesday I promise a recipe for a very tasty stoup (that’s stew/soup) plus I will share with you something new I did this past weekend. For those of us who are “foodies” it might be kind of intriguing. You’ll have to come back here on Wednesday. But for now… don’t forget to leave a comment so you can be in the running for that free app!